Why Oreo Maker Mondelez Pulled Its Ads From Twitter After Taking Musk


Oreo maker Mondelez has pulled its ads from Twitter after Tesla Inc CEO Elon Musk discovered the social media platform, CEO Dirk Van de Put said in an interview with Reuters Newsmaker on Tuesday. “What we have seen recently since the change was announced on Twitter, the number of hate speech has increased significantly,” said Van de Put. “We felt there was a risk that our advertising could appear next to wrong messages.

“Because of this, we have decided to stop for a while, take a break until the danger is much less,” he said.

Twitter last week laid off part of its workforce as advertisers pulled funding amid concerns about content regulation. Mondelez joins a number of large companies that have stopped advertising on Twitter, including United Airlines, General Mills, American luxury carmaker Audi, and General Motors.

Gilead Sciences said earlier Monday that the company and its Kite division were “in the process of suspending advertising” on Twitter.

Last week, Volkswagen said it asked its companies to pause paid advertising on Twitter until further notice after Elon Musk took over the social media platform. “We are closely monitoring the situation and will decide on the next steps as it develops,” Europe’s leading car company said in a statement.

The company, which has lost several members of its communications team, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Van de Put added that Mondelez, which makes Cadbury and Milka chocolates, expects a strong holiday season. The consumer in Europe, Mondelez’s biggest market, is currently his biggest concern, he added.

Last month, Musk tweeted that the company would create a content moderation council with a “very different vision.” Musk said no major decisions on the content or restoration of accounts will take place before the council meets.

The self-described “absolutist of free speech” said in May that he would lift the Twitter ban on former US President Donald Trump, who was removed from the microblogging site in January last year at the risk of inciting violence after the US Capitol storm. . .

© Thomson Reuters 2022


Affiliate links may be created automatically – see our ethics statement for details.

,



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: